Thursday 6th June 2019






This morning after a late start we came a short distance east to visit the Menhirs at Saint Just.






I find these sites incredible atmospheric.





I just don't have a clue why people thousands of years ago with presumably few resources by modern standards would go to the enormous effort involved in producing such monuments.





The stones are surrounded by beautiful flower meadows.






Some of the megaliths are of white schist.





After viewing the megalithic site we stopped in the village of Saint Just where there is an interpretive centre. They also have a very tall church spire. We bought a book about prehistoric monuments in Brittany.







From Saint Just we travelled the short distance south to the town of Redon and parked at the aire de camping cars just by the pleasure boat harbour. Here's the view from the side of our van.






Here's the view through the windscreen from our parking place.






This is the main part of the pleasure boat harbour.





We walked into town crossing various waterways.





There are some nice old buildings in the historic centre of Redon.






Here's the pedestrianised main street.






When I am travelling around I am always interested to try local products which I am unfamiliar with. Before we came into town I researched Breton alcoholic drinks on the web and decided I wanted to buy some Lambig - the Breton version of Calvados. I found some in this shop but when I tried to buy it my plastic card was declined by the shop's machine! I offered another card which was also declined! The shop keeper then tried to buy something with his own card and that was declined too! Eventually I went off and found a cash machine so I had enough cash to buy the Lambig. Here you see the shopkeeper trying to contact his bank on the phone to complain about his card authorising machine not working.





Back at the van I was very keen to try the Lambig. It took an age to remove the very powerful wax? sealant? around the cork but eventually I managed it. I suppose unsurprisingly it's not that different from any good Calvados or Cognac or single malt Scotch Whiskey or indeed Irish Whiskey. It's very good anyway.





Not long after we got back to the van from our shopping trip there was a very loud clap of thunder and a short torrential downpour. After we had finished our tea and the rain had stopped we walked down to the end of the strip of land we are parked on.





Here the Nantes - Brest Canal and the river Vilaine intersect.






There is a play area next to our parking place.





There is also some really excellent street art.





What about this?






We have a really nice parking place shaded by trees.



Today we travelled 38 miles (61 kilometres). We are at N47.64439 W2.08946



Redon       Street View



No comments: