Thursday 29th October





Today we travelled north to the city of Braganca. Some of the journey was along the banks of the river Douro. We parked at the municipal Aire close to the old Citadel. We had come 71 miles (114 kilometres).




We walked uphill from the Aire to the Citadel - great autumn colours.



We entered the Citadel through this gate.



Inside the walls you are immediately confronted by the castle.



We went into the church, churches seem to be unlocked in Portugal, it has an unusual painted wooden ceiling.




Here's the front of the church.




This is the Council Chamber next to the church.




We took a walk around the Citadel walls.




There are some great views down from the walls.




Inside the Citadel is this old sculpture of a pig. I think that it may have been associated with some pre Christian religious cult.



The pole coming out of the pig's back is apparently some kind of medieval pillory. All very symbolic.

We went out for a meal this evening. I asked for grilled lamb and got lumps of barely cooked fat and bone. I stupidly ate some of it. The proprietor of the restaurant asked me how my food was and I told her I didn't like it. Ann's food was just about edible. We said we didn't want any pudding but they brought us some anyway - Ann managed to eat a little of it but I couldn't face it.





No comments: