Monday 15th December, apart from being my birthday, was quite eventful. Soon after leaving Saint Restutit the horrible clunking noises coming from the front of the van resumed. We had only got to the nearby village of Suze la Rousse (whose castle is shown above) when we decided to stop and seek help.We tried a local garage but they couldn't look at it till tomorrow so we went back to Saint Restutit and rang the AA.




A recovery truck came out from the nearby town of Bolene and after listening to the noise decided that it was safe for us to follow the truck to the garage rather than being loaded on. After the van was jacked up the problem was immediately clear. The left front wheel bolts were loose and the wheel was wobbling around. With the wheel bolts tightened we returned to Saint Restutit for another night. The wheel in question had been moved from the spare to the left front a few months ago to equalise tyre wear by our local garage in Bovey Tracey. If anyone in Devon is looking for somewhere reliable to have their car serviced or repaired I would suggest that they steer well clear of Pottery Road Garage, Bovey Tracey!



2 comments:

John Warren said...

Happy birthday!! It's very difficult to locate a loose wheel - over the years it has happened to me more than once; I remember seeing the wheel roll past me once when it fell off!

Roger and Ann said...

Never happened to me before and I've been driving since 1963. The wheel bolts on a Fiat Ducato van like ours have to be tightened to a massive torque and in my opinion the only way they could have come unscrewed was because they were not properly tightened in the first place. Hence my comments about the garage in Bovey Tracey.